Yum says package "ntp" is not available which is not true

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Mon Aug 6 01:42:19 UTC 2007

At 10:44 PM +0200 8/5/07, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>Tony Nelson wrote:
>>
>> [ Nothing that was quoted.]

>>> [root at nexus ~]# rpm -Va --nofiles --nomd5
>>> Unsatisfied dependencies for system-config-date-1.9.3-2.fc8.noarch: ntp
>>> /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.80003: line 850: IntegrateWithGNOME: command not found
>>> [root at nexus ~]#
>>
>> That checked some of the data in the RPM database files.  As the output
>> from that is odd, the database files should be checked for integrity,
>> hopefully with `rpm --verifydb`.  If problems are found, the RPM database
>> can often be rebuilt if the Packages file is OK, with `rpm --rebuilddb`
>> unless that has been removed also.
>
>'rpm --verifydb' doesn't output anything at all which I presume means that
>the integrity of the database is ok.

Yes, the checks passed.  (They don't check referential integrity, the data
relationships between tables.  They just check that each table is in proper
format.)

It's good to know the database is not hosed when RPM is being weird.  I've
seen it limp along for quite a while, getting weirder and weirder.