Kernel Modules in Fedora -x

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 20:47:06 UTC 2007

Jarod Wilson wrote:

>> Do you know if a firewire drive will work reliably as a raid1 mirror
>> with a matching internal drive?
>
> Not a clue, never tried.
>
>> With the older stack it isn't
>> recognized in time at boot-up to automatically connect the md device.
>
> It is if you load the firewire modules in your initrd. :)

Hmmm, would that happen by itself if the drive is attached during an
install with the new system?

>> You can add it and the re-sync generally works if the partition is not
>> too busy, but it tends to be failed out of the array if it is left
>> connected when the partition is very active.
>
> I wonder if the cfs scheduler would help with this any. And/or shutting
> off beagle (which likes to absolutely slaughter the i/o on my workstation).

The place I want it is as a 3rd member of a RAID1 set that is used for
the pooled file storage for backuppc - which hardlinks all identical
files it finds across your backup set.  This is extremely busy during
backups and takes an impractically long time to copy with tar or other
file-oriented means because of the way hardlinks are re-constructed
(many days for a 250 gig drive), while a raid-sync will complete in a
couple of hours.  There's probably a better way to do that now with LVM
snapshots but that's getting off the topic of reliability.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com