Kernel Modules in Fedora -x

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 21:53:22 UTC 2007

On 8/3/07, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org> wrote:
> By source RPMs I didn't mean .src.rpm.  I meant the payload that is
> installed from dkms-foo-mod is the source of the module that you want
> DKMS to build.  I think we're saying the same thing.

> And I am more and more starting to think this might be a _good_ idea.
> Users that want modules we aren't willing to carry upstream can install
> the dkms "payload" (as you described it) for the module, build and
> install.

We might also want to think about enabling optional magic in something
like /sbin/new-kernel-pkg for systems with dkms configured to attempt
dkms payload rebuilds on new kernel installs.

If we do not even attempt to provide the binary module against a
kernel, we avoid the never-ending game of catch-up that we have to
play in the build system with traditional kmod packages when a new
kernel is pushed. And I think it sends a clear message that these
things are more experimental in nature.

> Some might think this is too technical a hurdle for users to clear, but
> I think it might be worth examining.  Care to draft a proposal for
> FESCo?  We could evaluate it at the same time we do dwmw2/f13's.

I should be able to draft a proposal.  When's the next meeting?

-jef