Enabling Compiz by default?

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Aug 9 22:56:03 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 12:26:05AM +0200, dragoran wrote:
> > Compiz is too buggy to use - its still hopelessly broken with java menus
>
> thats java which is broken here not compiz.
> its not hoplessly broken there is a workaround for it
> export AWT_TOOLKIT="MToolkit
> but there are other bugs I explained above (opengl apps)

Allow me to explain the user view point

	"I DONT CARE"

Compatibility works because the components don't plead strict standards
compliance at each other but compensate. So if we are shipping compiz
by default we need to either
	- Fix java (assuming it all ends up free in time)
	- Ensure the environment fix is set by default

> and you'd want to use one of the actually maintained compositing managers
> > instead.
>
> ? don't understand this compiz _is_ activly maintained

Didn't seem to be.