Enabling Compiz by default?

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 01:06:24 UTC 2007

On 8/9/07, Dave Airlie <airlied at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 01:46 +0200, Rudolf Kastl wrote:

> menus
> managers

> > > Ubuntu aren't doing any work on fixing the technical problems with
> > > compiz, if they turn it on on gutsy it'll be on nvidia binary drivers
> > > only. Otherwise  things like 3D apps and movie playing will get
> > > seriously screwed..
> > >
> > > They are benefiting a lot more from the work Red Hat are doing than we
> > > will ever benefit from them.
> > >
> > > Dave.
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> > Well personally i am all for pushing compiz fusion as fast as
> > possible. Actually i have todays git checkout running on rawhide and
> > it wfm.
> >
> > What would certainly help is a list of issues and a goalsetting what
> > really has to be achieved to be able to enable it as default without
> > having too much breakage.
> >
> > A working noveau driver that does aiglx fine and the r500 driver
> > imported into rawhide (and push it towards reliability with aiglx)
> > would for sure a neat first step in achieving the goal that it works
> > for most users out there.
> >

> The work krh and I have been doing on the X/DRI layers to enable 3D
> redirection and also the work I've been doing with cworth to make EXA
> fast are possible two of the major bodies of work required to get a
> composited desktop useable - note I didn't even say compiz, just to make
> any compositing manager work properly with 3D and screen resizing.

And thank you very much for the EXA work.  I think that is something that
has gotten passed up in the last year or so with all the Compiz/Beryl
hype.    EXA is my compositing saving grace on my KM400 with the openchrome
driver.

I am not sure why all this focus has been on 3d acceleration and glitz.  For
the longest time I have run xcompmgr on top of metacity ( Yes I know old an
hacky ).  I will tell you though, it didn't crash and my windows drew smooth
as silk on the screen.   Recently I decided to try to find something better
than xcompmgr and after reading threads and looking at code, realized that
XFCE's window manager xfwm4 does absolutely everything I want very nicely.
I have drop shadows, nice window transparency when I drag and resize, full
screen overlays work properly.

Why not look at a nice basic composited windows manager as default that
works pretty well on any driver that supports EXA ( I have now gotten this
running quite well on laptops with Sis, EXA, and VIA integrated chipsets).
Then offer the 3d option for beefier graphics chipsets.  I liked it so much
I am now running xfwm4 on my gaming desktop as well.

It would really take nothing more than a weekend to gnomify xfwm4 and make
it a very clean replacement for metacity.  Nice smooth clean modern looking
desktop without the need for accelerated opengl.

-Jon

tbh nouveau and r500 aren't really even on the radar as far as we are