Disabling atime

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Aug 10 15:41:08 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 10:33 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 15:09:11 +0200
> Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

> > Way off from the figures the proponents of notime are reporting.
>
> Well... a heavy compile job isn't going to reflect that much because
> you're writing to the disk anyway.
Well, not necessarily. As others have pointed out before (the kernel
devs were referring to kernel compilation as example), compilation
involves a lot of read-access to header files (typically in the order of
100s per source file).

> Perhaps try doing a 'find / -exec cat {} > /dev/null \;' with and without atime.
Worth a try. I'll propose this to the person having experimented on
this.

Ralf