Enabling Compiz by default?

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 16:42:45 UTC 2007

On 8/10/07, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 12:32 -0400, Jon Nettleton wrote:
>

> > Why not look at a default compositor/window manager that allows basic
> > compositing features without the need for a OpenGL accelerated
> > graphics
> > engine?
>

> Do you have one to offer ?
>
> --

I stated earlier that I recently switched my gnome desktop to use xfwm4
instead of metacity.  I am never going back.  With EXA accelerated chipsets
you can run the compositor with nice translucent windows for dragging and
dropping.  Basic XAA  acceleration gives menu and titlebar transparencies
with drop shadows and smooth window dragging (no redraw problems).

I would really suggest you take 5 minutes and give it a try.  I can post a
quick
howto if people are interested.

Jon