Disabling atime

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Fri Aug 10 17:34:01 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> A friend of mine experimented with atime/noatime yesterday:
>
> These were his results:
>
> Test case: A heavy weight compiler-job
>
> Default /etc/fstab
>   real    5m18.226s
>   user    4m44.557s
>   sys     1m17.193s
> User+Sys: 365.750
>
> Rebooted -- all filesystems noatime,nodiratime
>   real    5m4.256s
>   user    4m36.841s
>   sys     1m8.364s
> User+Sys: 346.750
>
> new / old = .9465

+1 for real numbers!!!

Though the test would seem better if there was an explicit reboot before
the first test, to make sure caches are in basically the same state.

> [Fedora-7, i386 on an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+]
>
> Way off from the figures the proponents of notime are reporting.

I didn't see that many people reporting numbers.  But are you kidding,
5+% is HUGE!  (both sarcasm and sincerity).  I mean, for something that
is basically FREE.

And you also failed to remind people of the other key HUGE benefit (I
think, if I've been following this correctly)- that (laptop) drives
would never get needless writes for every file read.  I.e. if I
understand correctly, reading a file thats in cache won't cause the
drive to need to be spun up to update the atime.

-dmc