Enabling Compiz by default?

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Fri Aug 10 22:56:20 UTC 2007

> Greyed out buttons are inactive buttons, greyed out menu entries are
> inactive menu entries. I don't think its a stretch to take that to a
> window as a whole and if anything its the most consistent behavior for
> a window you cannot interact with.

You're equivocating. Disabling a widget because it makes no sense in the
current state of the application is something completely different from
an application that just happens to be busy.

Ever tried using yumex with compiz? It ends up going grey, usually
because I *told* it to do something, and it is *already* indicating its
busyness with a progress meter.

As someone else mentioned, just because the app is busy doesn't mean its
not still displaying valid information I'm trying to read. The grey
thing is simply way too distracting and alarming. It calls attention to
the window, when the reality is, I told the app to do something, and I
don't *care* about the application until its done with its task. There
is nothing happening that needs this much attention drawn to it.

The first time I ever experienced the window greying, my first thought
was "Oh my god something's gone horribly wrong!". And I'm not even Aunt
Tillie. Its an alarming indicator, when there's nothing alarming to
indicate.

Whatever happened to just switching to a busy pointer shape? THAT would
be consistent with decades old standards of GUI behavior.