Disabling atime

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Sat Aug 11 21:27:34 UTC 2007

Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>> Eric Sandeen wrote:
>
>>> For such a long thread on performance tweaking why are there so few
>>> benchmarks or timing results?
>>>
>>> -Eric
>>>

>> I believe there were some quantitative numbers earlier in the thread,
>> and I remember someone mentioning a 5% increase.
>>

> There was one post of one workload, yes.  And a write-heavy one, at that.

I for one would like to see numbers for

- boot time
   - time to gdm-autologged-in
firefox-autostartonsession-viewing-local-htmlpage

- number of laptop drive spin-ups per hour
   - i.e. boot like above, then leave system idle for a few hours
   - also try leaving other common apps open when idle, i.e. thunderbird,...

- time for kernel compile
   - i.e. same as original test, but with what I commented, i.e. reboot
before both tests to ensure accuracy

- time for find / -exec grep "somestring" '{}' ';'

- time for tar copy of rootfs to a different filesystem

- time for reconstruction of f7/f8 media (livecd and traditional) via
livecd-tools and pungi (or revisor)

- anything anybody else adds to this list...

- oh, and did I forget to re-emphasize the laptop spin-up test...

-dmc