Disabling atime

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Aug 12 03:16:01 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-08-11 at 21:34 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Matthew Miller wrote:
>>> tmpwatch runs by default. Everyone uses that.
>> Has a simple patch already which I mentioned in my original mail.
>
> And how do you "fix" the "find"-based cron job users might have
> implemented to clean up /var/cache from files not being used for time
> span "x"?

Any change will have some corner cases where it will cause problems. We
can make defaults work good without atime and for other instances there
is always the release notes as usual. We are only talking about changing
this for a new release so users would have time to adopt if necessary.

For most users, it is just a performance boost.

Rahul