Enabling Compiz by default?

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 03:38:45 UTC 2007

On 8/11/07, David Nielsen <david at lovesunix.net> wrote:

> søn, 12 08 2007 kl. 09:34 +1000, skrev Dave Airlie:
>
> > 2. Once 1 is solved you get to pick which compositing manager,
> > personally I think compiz might be overkill, but if someone were to make
> > metacity and compiz work the same for things like keyboard shortcuts
> > etc, with compiz having extra ones, so that users wouldn't have
> > inconsistent experience when switching between them. And also the
> > default compiz would probably need to have a tailored list of plugins.
>
> Many users have grown to like Compiz and expect it as a feature, it's an
> active project which has a wide community around it to do
> experimentation. None of the alternatives have that. Not going with
> Compiz as our compositing manager would likely cost us users and add to
> our support burden in that upstream is not nearly as well populated and
> active.

I am curious where you numbers come from.  From my tally really only a
handful of  Intel
and ati cards actually work well with compiz, and even that is hit and
miss.  We have to
count out nvidia cards because it only works with binary drivers, and then
there is the
"black window" bug that makes it useless for people that don't have cards
with half a
gig of ram on them.

I would really like everyone following this thread to speak up and say yay
or nay on
whether they run compiz/beryl on what hardware they have.  I am not against
Beryl
or Compiz I have always found them unusable for serious day to day work.

I will be the first to step up.

1) Laptop Via KM400 Chipset - Won't run Compiz - run EXA Composite in xfwm4
2) Desktop Nvidia 6600GT - Can't run Compiz, black windows bug and
fullscreen OpenGL problems -
running xfwm4 with RenderAcce
3) Desktop Nvidia 7950 GT - Can't run Compiz, black windows bug and
fullscreen OpenGL problems - metacity no composite
4)  Laptop Sis 630 - Won't run Compiz no 3d support - run EXA Composite in
xfwm4
5)  Laptop Savage IV - Won't run Compiz - run EXA Composite in xfwm4

I would also like to note you should probably note if you turn off your
chosen Compisiting manager
to play fullscreen games, or to watch movies.

Is this something we could add to Smolt?  Perhaps an opt in to surveys?

-Jon