rhgb and gdm-early-login two great tastes?

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 00:38:40 UTC 2007

On 8/13/07, Adam Jackson <ajackson at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-08-11 at 18:20 -0400, Jon Nettleton wrote:
> > I just read somewhere somebody saying that rhgb was a horrible
> > idea and that a nicer boot process will come once kernel mode-
> > setting exists.  Funny how some things kick your brain in such a way
> > you actually look at things a little different.  This was the kick I
> > needed  after staring blankly at my bootlog charts trying to figure
> > out how to shave more time off the process (I have maxed out at 40
> > seconds).
> >
> > My problem is that you have to take the speed hit of starting an X
> > server eventually.  Kernel modesetting just isn't going to help that.
> > Well then all the pieces fell together and this is what I have hacked
> > together so far.
>
> To be fair, the X server isn't the slow part of starting graphics.  The
> real reason for wanting kernel modesetting is so we can do this stuff
> all the way forward in the boot process, basically as soon as you hit
> the initramfs.  This lets you mask the fact that kernel init still takes
> >10s on most hardware.
>
> > 1)  Add an option to rhgb so it doesn't fork and daemonize
> > 2)  patch /etc/gdm/Init/Default so it checks that rhgb is executable
> > and the file /var/lock/subsys/rhgb doesn't exist.  If those two
> > qualifications are true then run rhgb -n -f -u :0.0
> > 3)  modify rc.sysinit with the gdm-early-login patch, so gdm is
> > started right after the root filesystem is mounted rw.
> >
> > What this gives me is boot up, as soon as / is rw start up gdm.  Gdm
> > starts rhgb using it's own X server.  As soon as rhgb is done gdm
> > launches the greeter using the same X server.  No flashing or
> > switching back and forth to consoles, etc etc.
>
> This sounds interesting.  Got the patches handy?

Certainly, I am just fleshing out a few more things.  I found my first big
hangup
which was the Xserver hanging for 4 seconds looking for xfs.  Luckily this
won't
be a problem in Fedora 8.  Now I am just working out a better way of
starting
gdm earlier.

Then I just need to make rhgb a bit more dynamic for reading services ;-)

I will keep you posted.

Jon