PulseAudio is now enabled by default on new Fedora installs

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Thu Aug 16 21:43:59 UTC 2007

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> 3. I don't want to reinstall my system just to get PA installed. What
>   can I do to install PA on my Rawhide system?
>
>   Run "sudo yum install pulseaudio pulseaudio-esound-compat
>   pulseaudio-module-gconf pulseaudio-module-x11
>   gstreamer-plugins-pulse pulseaudio-utils alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
>   pavucontrol"
>
>   You might also want to install a couple of optional packages:
>
>   "sudo yum install pulseaudio-module-zeroconf pulseaudio-module-lirc
>   pavumeter paman paprefs padevchooser"
>
>   You also have to make sure that some GConf keys are set up properly:
>
>   /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosrc -> pulsesrc
>   /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosink -> pulsesink (or autoaudiosink)
>   /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/chataudiosink -> pulsesink (or autoaudiosink)
>   /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/musicaudiosink -> pulsesink (or autoaudiosink)
>
>   /desktop/gnome/sound/enable_esd -> True

Okay, as I maintain many games and I want to make sure this doesn't mess things
up, I've followed the above instructions. No joy. pa (through /usr/bin/esd)
doesn't get started, when started from a terminal I get:

[hans at shalem ~]$ esd
W: main.c: WARNING: called SUID root, but not in group 'pulse-rt'.
pulseaudio: pulsecore/fdsem.c:181: pa_fdsem_after_poll: Assertion
`pa_atomic_dec(&f->waiting) >= 1' failed.
Aborted
[hans at shalem ~]$

This is on x86_64 rawhide (last fully updated about a week ago), please don't
tell me pa isn't 64 bit clean, because then it really should be removed as an
F-8 feature.

Regards,

Hans