Services automaticly change firewall rules to open access to themselfs.

Saikat Guha saikat at cs.cornell.edu
Mon Aug 20 16:58:32 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 16:20 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> ( add the iptables rules automatically when the service is started and
> remove those rules when the service is stopped )
>
> Doing chkconfig service or service service start/stop and it would
> also open the port for that service in the firewall

How would this interact with VPNs. I tend to run services with full VPN
internal access (openvpn) but no access from the public Internet.

Also what services would default to opening firewall ports? CUPS, for
example, opens a port both for local printing and for remote use. If I
have CUPS on a box without local printers, it likely doesn't need
firewall holes.

Perhaps modify system-config-security to allow ports to be opened by
service (not by port) and have initscript functions look at that?

--
Saikat