Rebuilds needed for Fedora 8

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 13:36:32 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 08:28 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 08:03 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 04:40:31 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> >
> > > IMO, the current convention of using x in %changelog entries instead of
> > > x%{?dist} is a mistake.
> >
> > Using %dist in the %changelog alters history when the package is
> > rebuilt with a changed %dist value. The changelog of the built rpms
> > would have the expanded dist value put everywhere, overwriting old
> > values.
> Right, inlined changelogs are bad in general ;)
>
> > In general, macros in %changelog are bad.
> Right, nevertheless the current practice produces bogus results.

A way to mitigate the problem is to test that the latest changelog entry
actually contains the full NVR (with no macros) and make so that "make
tag" will refuse to tag if changelog does not match expectations
(actually this would help me a lot as I tend to forget to fix
changelog).
This way 99% of the cases we should have a consistent changelog.

Simo