build/koji/update documentation reorganization?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Aug 22 22:13:06 UTC 2007

Hello,

I have something to add to the update/build/koji doc, but it is not
easy to do since there are a lot of duplication in the wiki on that
subject.

1. In http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Koji, subsection 'Package
Organization'
there are some useful infos about tags and package lists (not
the very beginning, but roughly beginning at 'A build target
specifies ...'), but for advanced uses of koji.

2. In http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Koji/UsingKoji there are information
about the web interface, setting up koji in the client and koji build
commands.

3. in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/KojiBuildSystem
there are very brief infos about the web interface, setting up koji
in the client, precise informations about the certificates and
setup, some commands, and info about make targets koji related.

4. In
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/UpdatingPackageHowTo
there is a brief explantation about how to update a package including
make tag, make build, koji, and bodhi. There is a link to 5.

5. In http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/UsingCvsFaq
there is a detailed explanation on how to update a package.
Also some misc informations, including info about make targets.
It links to 6.

6. On http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/BuildRequests
there are info about plague builds

I think that things should be simplified. In my opinion 1. 2. and 3.
should be merged in a page about builds in Fedora. With a part about
setting up koji, a part about the web infrastructure, a part
about koji commands and a last one regarding the make shortcuts,
including some info from 5.
Maybe the make shortcuts may be explained before koji commands.

I also think that 5. should be merged in 4., with links from 5. to 4.

4. should point to koji stuff.

6. Should be renamed otherwise, and linked from other places with
a text saying that it is about a procedure for F-6 only.

I am volunteering to do at least part of the reorganization I
propose.

(The info I would like to add is about inheritance in koji and
make chain-build.)

Comments?

--
Pat