is "ps" broken in rawhide?

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Sat Aug 25 23:55:11 UTC 2007

I wrote:
> Well, first I'll try to reproduce it locally using mock, but it'll take
> a bit of downloading ...

That worked ... just for the record, my first instinct was right: it
*was* a question of default buildroot contents being tightened.
It seems /bin/ps is not in the default buildroot anymore.  I would
have realized that immediately if I'd read the configure output
correctly:

checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for doxygen... no
checking for pdflatex... no
checking for makeindex... no
checking for icheck... no
checking for ps... ps

The "checking for ps" result does not mean it found ps, it means it
*failed* to find ps and is substituting a default value "ps" anyway,
because upstream wrote this configure test as
AC_PATH_PROG(PS, ps, ps)

Grumble.

			regards, tom lane