Idea: easier transition for newcomers from other DEs/OSes

dragoran drago01 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 11:32:11 UTC 2007

Martin Sourada wrote:
> Just a though... Your opinions? Is it even desirable? Does it make
> sense?

-1000 !
---
fedora is not supposed to be a "better windows"  but a  different OS
look & fell can also be different as long as it isn't complicated and
the user does not need to RTFM to understand how to do basic task.
but to be honest I don'z think that the gnome or kde look and feel are a
problem for somebody who switches from windows to linux.
The things that are complely different are:
* software installation (no setup.exe ..click, click, click)
but I think packagekit/pirut and friends are not to complex for windows
users to get used to and after sometime they will start to love them (no
hunting for apps on the net/disks but simply search for it and the
system does the download and install for them)
* driver installation:
users should not install drivers at all everything should just work
everything else its a bug ... the problem here is that some vendors does
not help us with this goal.
---
I think thats basicly it opening a file using nautilus/konqueror or with
the windows explorer isn't much different. starting a app from a menu
that is not 1:1 the same as the windows one?  well if the user can use
the mouse and read he will find the app in menu.
I could continue here but I wont what I want to say is USERS AREN'T
IDOITS! (well some are but they have problems with other oses to so
copying their look & feel does not help) ... making things easier is ok
but don't assume that user can't learn anything new. (and in that cases
it isn't _that_ new at all)