Pirut: Edit -> Repositories mock-up -- Part 3.

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 19:55:42 UTC 2007

>> My initial idea was to input and use the mirror list _only_ if the
>> mirror list checkbox was chosen and otherwise use the baseurl. However
>> this does not consider the case where the .repo file looks like:

> Okay, this makes some sense.  Although we could just have that handled
> under the covers and still let you just select between mirror url and a
> baseurl.  But that would get a little weird switching between them I
> guess.  I still think you're going to want to allow a radio button
> between the two.  Because you can also disable the baseurl (in fact,
> that's the default config).  Maybe we just make the baseurl and the
> mirror url both handled like the gpg key above.

Disabling the baseurl is a default config for the Fedora repositories,
and may not be so for custom distributed file:// based repositories or
some ad-hoc http:// or ftp:// repository created by a developer or an
organization.

If we look at it from a higher level of abstraction what are the most
basic things needed to get a repository working? A repo id, a name and
a baseurl come to mind. A mirrorlist and gpgkey are important and good
to have, but not absolutely necessary. That is the reason why I want
to hide them away by default.

In any case the Fedora repositories are already going to be present
after the installation, and established ones like FreshRPMs and Livna
have their own RPM packages for the configuration which are only a
left-click away. So the "Add New Repository" is really going to be
used for adding ad-hoc, custom repositories where a mirrorlist might
be nothing more than a burden.

So we use the baseurl as long as the mirrorlist has not been selected
and supplied. If you want the unusual situation of preferring the
baseurl over the mirrorlist, even when the mirrorlist is supplied,
then just go to "Edit Repository" and do the needful.

When the user edits a repository which does not have mirrorlist or
gpgcheck selected, the advanced expander remains folded. It is only
open when the mirrorlist and gpgkeys have been supplied.

Regards,
Debarshi
--
GPG key ID: 63D4A5A7