@FESCO: EPEL Steering Committee's mandate is expiring -- how to move on?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Aug 28 03:57:42 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-08-26 at 15:42 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> So if you are a EPEL contributor: what do you want? Do you want to elect
> a EPEL Steering Committee? Do you want a bigger or a smaller one? Do you
> want to get rid of it?

I'll let my man Chuck D speak for me:

"Power to the people with no delay."

Fedora is evolving, and where?  Steering committees don't seem fit the
need like they did before.

I like a bit of how Mike is organizing F-Infra, around functional teams
that operate semi-autonomously, and report back to each other.  EPEL
seems like it could follow a similar model.  Multiple groupings loosely
coupled as a SIG, meeting once a week to be sure the bearings are
rolling smoothly.

To get there, I think we evolve.  As you suggest, lower the influence,
role, or meaning of the steering committee.  Try to get some functional
leaders to focus their contributions over certain areas.  Add a
sponsorship methodology so people can help in these functional areas,
gaining access as they merit, etc.

The more technical the Fedora group, the less formal structure I think
it should have.

- Karsten
--
        Karsten Wade              ^     Fedora Documentation Project
    quaid.fedorapeople.org        |          gpg key: AD0E0C41