Heads up, slight tree path change

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Aug 30 01:43:54 UTC 2007

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:51:55 -0500
Douglas McClendon <dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org> wrote:

> - to include the fedora-release rpm (not fedora-logos) in a
> derivative distribution?

The naming of it is probably suspect.  With Test2, fedora-release will
grow a Provides: system-release so that things can switch over to
requiring that instead of either 'fedora' release or 'redhat' release.
This means you can do a drop-in replacement named whatever, so long as
it also provides system-release.

> If not, what I am more specifically interested in, is the fedora rpm
> gpg key, and the yum configurations that point at fedora servers.

That's fine, you'd probably also want to add in your key and repo
definitions for what makes you different than Fedora.

> In some sense, this facilitates derivative distributions 'leeching'
> resources from fedora.  But it seems like this is currently allowed,
> and given the moves to encourage derivative distros, I suspect fedora
> does not have a problem with this.
>
> Then the final question of course would be, since derivative distros
> of this nature are using binaries actually built by fedora, will
> fedora be willing to go the extra mile and offer written assurance to
> keep the source rpms available for 3 years, or whatever the whole
> fallout from the gpl-derivative-distro thread of recent history was.
>
> I mean, it seems plain silly to force derivative distros, that are
> using binaries compiled and provided by fedora, to maintain a mirror
> of the source rpms.  Especially if as above, the yum configs in the
> derivative distros are pointing at fedora servers anyway.

3 years is a long time to make such a promise, especially considering
that you may pick up updates and not the release bits.  Our updates
definitely don't sit for 3 years, they're only around until they're
replaced by a later update.  To keep each and every update around for 3
years is a /lot/ of data.

It's just easier if you're going to go the step of publicly
distributing a derivative to host the srpms you ship with your
binaries, or near your binaries.  That way when you're done with the
binaries and no longer wish to distribute them, you can bring
them /and/ the source down, as you won't be obligated to keep the
source around for any other amount of time.

--
Jesse Keating