util-linux missing from build root

Stepan Kasal skasal at redhat.com
Thu Aug 30 17:27:18 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 05:13:04PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> >  We would have to add a few small utilities which, though not
> > standardized by POSIX, are widely supposed (fgrep, egrep, tar, cpio).
> One detail: egrep is dead, deprecated and supposed not to be used
> anymore ... for years (You might seen it on autoconf@)

sure, I know.  Yet I don't think we can remove it from the buildroot.
The consequence would be that many backages would happily build, but
misconfigured.  Hard to hunt for that.

What might make sense, is placing a bomb instead of [fe]grep and then
rebuilding.  For each package which nukes, we'd notify upstream.
But is it worth the effort?

I think we should accept the fact that these non--standard commands
will stay available for very long...  Backward compatibility...
And relying on the fact that everyone provides backward
compatibility...  :-)

Have anice day,
	Stepan