ubuntu bulletproof x

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 18:15:54 UTC 2007

On 8/31/07, Dave Airlie <airlied at redhat.com> wrote:
> Really if you have to ask the user you've already lost....
>
> The main use this gives is you can let a user try the binary driver, and
> if it tanks, you can use the GUI to go back to the open source or vice
> versa,
>
> Really though a simple ordering like:
> 1. Users current xorg.conf
> 2. No x.org conf - default driver
> 3. Try another driver in list (like fglrx or radeon)
> 4. Try vesa.
> 5. lose.

So you have either a choice to lose, and let the user feel helpless
and out of control, or you give them at least a chance to try
something out.  If the user is intelligent, even if he's not
technically oriented, he can then say "I tried the following settings
and they all didn't work."

Not that I'm going to say this is the best implementation either, but
it's better than just a BSOD (Black Screen of Doom).

-Yaakov