ubuntu bulletproof x

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 18:28:53 UTC 2007

Yaakov Nemoy wrote:

>> The main use this gives is you can let a user try the binary driver, and
>> if it tanks, you can use the GUI to go back to the open source or vice
>> versa,
>>
>> Really though a simple ordering like:
>> 1. Users current xorg.conf
>> 2. No x.org conf - default driver
>> 3. Try another driver in list (like fglrx or radeon)
>> 4. Try vesa.
>> 5. lose.
>
> So you have either a choice to lose, and let the user feel helpless
> and out of control, or you give them at least a chance to try
> something out.  If the user is intelligent, even if he's not
> technically oriented, he can then say "I tried the following settings
> and they all didn't work."
>
> Not that I'm going to say this is the best implementation either, but
> it's better than just a BSOD (Black Screen of Doom).

The biggest problem I've seen with X is having to provide modelines for
equipment not included in the stock setup.  Is there any way that when
someone computes their own modelines and it comes up working that the
system could automatically ask permission to post the settings to a
central database so others with matching hardware would not have to
repeat the work?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com