RPM roadmapping

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Thu Aug 2 10:08:49 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, dragoran wrote:

> Panu Matilainen wrote:

>>> what about being able to say foo.i?86
>>
>> What about foo.athlon which is also a 32bit arch?
>>
>> And don't suggest "Requires: foo.i?86 || foo.athlon",
> this is just ugly so no.
>> because then you'd have monsters like this in each and every spec:
>>
>> %ifarch %{ix86}
>> Requires: foo.i?86 || foo.athlon
>> %fi
>> %ifarch x86_64
>> Requires: foo.x86_64
>> %fi
>>
>> The exact %{arch} is not the point at all here.
>>
> ok thats indeed the wrong way to solve it.
> what about forgot about the arch names and say foo.64bit or foo.32bit ?

Well that's more or less what I was suggesting :)

Only you can't have Requires: foo.64bit etc hardcoded in the spec for the
same reason as above: otherwise you'd have ugly arch conditionals all over
the specs. It must be something that's automatically expanded to correct
value at build time.

 	- Panu -