Kernel Modules in Fedora -x

Mark Bidewell mark.bidewell at alumni.clemson.edu
Fri Aug 3 20:50:00 UTC 2007

The issue (to me at least) would be "do I know before I
start what functionality is provided by the base kernel and what is provided
by third party modules.?" My nightmare scenario goes like this.

1)  I install fedora feature X works due to non-upstream patch.
2)  Build custom kernel.  feature X no longer works.

Using Nvidia as an example...(I realize that they will nver be included in
the kernel).

If I see build a custom kernel, I know I will need to rebuild the nvidia
drivers.  If these drivers were in the kernel rpm,  I might carelessly
assume that my video card is handled by upstream and be in for a nasty
shock.

In the case of multiple packages I know what will need to be redone.  If the
module is in the kernel RPM due to a patch,etc; I would have a much harder
time determining what to rebuild.

My vote would be for:  kernel rpm == upstream (kernel.org) as much as
possible with only rare exceptions (devicescape wireless stack for example).

Mark Bidewell