Kernel Modules in Fedora -x

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Sat Aug 4 01:55:48 UTC 2007

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 17:23:33 -0800
"Jeff Spaleta" <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/3/07, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org> wrote:
> > By DKMS payloads, are you referring to DKMS-packaged source RPMs for
> > the modules in question?  So that a user would install dkms-foo-mod
> > and then use dkms to build and install it?
>

> I wouldn't necessarily package them as source rpms.  I'd want them to
> be noarch packages that people can install and get updates for, as bug
> fixes come down the pipe. But to make use of them they'd have to
> install dkms and the necessary build tools themselves which dkms makes
> use of.

By source RPMs I didn't mean .src.rpm.  I meant the payload that is
installed from dkms-foo-mod is the source of the module that you want
DKMS to build.  I think we're saying the same thing.

And I am more and more starting to think this might be a _good_ idea.
Users that want modules we aren't willing to carry upstream can install
the dkms "payload" (as you described it) for the module, build and
install.

Some might think this is too technical a hurdle for users to clear, but
I think it might be worth examining.  Care to draft a proposal for
FESCo?  We could evaluate it at the same time we do dwmw2/f13's.

josh