First Fedora7 problem : KDE + Xorg + Fonts

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 20:19:12 UTC 2007

= Preamble =

Fedora 7 has been without issue for me thus far.Kudos to all involved.

= Problem =

Shutdown machine without notice of any problems. Booted up next day
and Xorg, and in turn KDM wouldn't load. /var/log/messages was quiet
but both /var/log/kdm.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log showed:

could not open default font 'fixed'

= Solution =

I eventually found out that I had an entry in my xorg.cong:Files

FontPath "/usr/local/share/fonts"

commenting that out fixed the problem.

= Cuase =

According to the Google cache of the Xorg wiki (which was down at the
time), "The use of the font server xfs is deprecated due to several
bugs in it. It is recommended that the Xserver loads the fonts
directly."

So I'm guessing KDE assumes that font paths are setup via xorg.cong. I
had attempted to add ttf fonts via KDE's control center (it did ask
for root password). Incidentally, I did notice that that did not add
the fonts in question, so I went back to how I normally add fonts,
using fonts:/Personal (that worked as normal).

I'm not sure what a possible resolution is, but I think it's fair to
expect people to attempt to use Control Center to add a font.
(although using fonts:/Personal is better)

Peace

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud