Kernel Modules in Fedora -x

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 20:59:52 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> But I don't necessarily want to limit my machine to fedora-owned
>> drivers. If that is a restriction, then it should be stated clearly
>> where a new user would see it before installing.
>
> Fedora cannot in anyway help with third party proprietary kernel
> drivers. That has been said several times quite prominently.

"Not helping" is unrelated to actively breaking in mid-version updates.
  If you plan the latter, just say so up front - and in a way that
points out this difference from RHEL.  And anyone who wants current apps
on a box that keeps working will just have to learn a different
administration style.

>> It's probably not coincidental that fedora works nicely on your
>> hardware.  It hasn't been that way for me much of the time and the
>> user mail list makes it look like others have many of the same issues.
>
> Fedora works quite nicely on my system because I specifically got a box
> which doesn't require anything proprietary to work. Well except the
> wireless firmware.

I didn't think there was anything unusual or proprietary about my
firewire drives or the IBM 225's either - but they both went through
many months of not working with various fedora kernels.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com