reducing power usage of Fedora - how you can help!

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Aug 9 21:22:00 UTC 2007

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Would you like your laptop battery to last longer? Would you like your
> servers to use less electricity? We certainly would. So we're investigating
> and fixing Fedora to use less juice.
>
> One of the biggest power problems is apps that wake up the CPU
> unnecessarily. With the tickless kernel for x86 (and soon x86_64),
> every time this happens it's a chance for power savings lost.

I have been running powertop occasionally over a period of couple of
weeks and the following were suggested by powertop.

----

hal-disable-polling --device /dev/scd0
mount -o remount,noatime /
hciconfig hci0 down ; rmmod hci_usb
echo 5 > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode

SELinux alert was suggested to be disabled but there is already a bug
report on that.

Rahul