Enabling Compiz by default?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Aug 9 22:30:25 UTC 2007

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 03:24:05AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Have we considered enabling Compiz by default in GNOME and fall back to
>> metacity if the driver or hardware don't support acceleration? That
>> would get desktop effects out of the box on Intel and some ATI cards.
>
> Compiz is too buggy to use - its still hopelessly broken with java menus
> and you'd want to use one of the actually maintained compositing managers
> instead.

Well, replace Compiz (and Beryl) with Compiz Fusion when we get around
to importing it into the Fedora repository.

Even then

> - Do you know anyone who doesn't turn the effects off eventually ?

Quite a lot actually. I see it being discussed almost constantly and
there is a lot of interest in it. I know many folks do think of it as a
set of useless whiz bang effects and the presence of some excessive
effects in Beryl and the cramped up preferences didn't help with that
but it does offer a number of small usability improvements like the
expose equivalent or preview of apps when switching between them are nice.

> - Do we care about the huge increase in power consumption ?

If we did, we would ideally fix the bugs with power consumption and with
like Java. Getting it enabled by default (atleast in rawhide) might act
as a good incentive.  Think SELinux.

Rahul