Enabling Compiz by default?

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Aug 9 23:05:32 UTC 2007

On 08/09/2007 06:18 PM, Alan Cox wrote:

> Compiz is too buggy to use - its still hopelessly broken with java menus
> and you'd want to use one of the actually maintained compositing managers
> instead.

Which ones?

Ubuntu Gutsy will have Compiz fusion by default.  And they're fixing
bugs to reach this goal.  We could benefit from their work, or
reinvent the wheel by going a different route.

Also, nowadays compiz appears to be quite maintained:

 http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/app/compiz.git;a=summary

> - Do you know anyone who doesn't turn the effects off eventually ?

Most people do that because of performance problems, bugs and
annoying effects (wobbly, genie)

Nobody turns off composition on MacOSX because it works seamlessly.
We should strive to reach that degree of robustness and performance
on Linux too, as we're already 5 years late.

> - Do we care about the huge increase in power consumption ?

Hmmm... I never thought it would be an issue once we remove
various source inefficiency.

A composited desktop shouldn't necessarily cause much more GPU
or CPU activity than traditional graphics plus the needed
hand-made double buffering hacks to hide flickering during
repaints.

--
   // Bernardo Innocenti
 \X/  http://www.codewiz.org/