Disabling atime

Benjamin Lewis ben.lewis at benl.co.uk
Sat Aug 11 18:35:36 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> There is something which leap out at me as soon a I saw this: the kind
>>> of person who _needs_ atime, knows how to set it. The majority of
>>> people
>>> - especially the home use - has little or no use for it whatsoever.
>>
>> The majority of people will see a performance boost they will
>> appreciate regardless of whether they know about atime or not.
>
> But whether it is a noticeable difference or not will depend on the
> number of files they access, either with automated build procedures or
> GUI file managers that like to peek inside every file.  People who
> keep their directory trees sparse and don't venture out of their home
> directory in a GUI much will probably not know the difference except
> that tmpwatch may not clean up correctly and their mailer may have to
> do more work to decide if a message is unread (etc.).
In my experience, viewing a folder of images as thumbnails is
significantly slower with atime. Many users will be viewing folders of
images methinks. In addition, most GUIs read a large (read huge) number
of files when they load, so load times for the  GUI should be reduced also.

> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    lesmikesell at gmail.com

EDIT: Sorry if anyone gets this twice, forgot to forward it to the list..
--

Benjamin Lewis
Fedora Ambassador
ben.lewis at benl.co.uk

http://benl.co.uk./                                 PGP Key: 0x647E480C

"In cases of major discrepancy, it is always reality that got it wrong"
                                                        -- RFC 1118