[Fedora-packaging] Re: New db4 update and package changes

Robert Scheck robert at fedoraproject.org
Sat Aug 11 20:19:19 UTC 2007

Evening folks,

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 14:27 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 11:01:00AM +0200, Jindrich Novy wrote:
> > > I want to announce a change I made in the new db4, that may affect
> > > you from the packaging POV if your package is dependent on db4. It is
> > > that I moved all the C++ stuff to db4-cxx and db4-cxx-devel subpackages
> > > to reduce dependency bloat (#220484).
> >
> > I can understand the splitting of the runtime bits, but why split the
> > *-devel package?
>
> +1. Splitting the -devel package is a rather significant alteration, for
> little benefit (and shouldn't increase dependency bloat).

thousands of -devel packages is in my not so humble opinion what the
reporter of bug #220484 would like to see. And I don't believe, there's any
real benefit of doing so, so please avoid it. We're living in the 3rd year-
thousand and I don't want to calculate what 5 MB of disk space could cost.

Greetings,
  Robert