Enabling Compiz by default?

Dave Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Sat Aug 11 23:34:09 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-08-12 at 00:18 +0100, Ioannis Nousias wrote:
> Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > As soon as we move to KDE 4 as the default KDE desktop (probably for Fedora 9),
> > KDE on Fedora will default to a WM which supports compositing. :-)
> >
> is this some kind of a political issue? It seems that people are ok with
> KDE 4's kwin compositing feature or enabling compositing in Metacity by
> default, but object with using compiz by default.
>
> If having a compositing manager enabled by default is not the issue,
> then what's the problem with using compiz by default?

There are two issues...

1. having a compositing manager by default will break a lot of apps on a
lot of drivers. We can probably enable by default on Intel hw when krh
and myself get things moving.

2. Once 1 is solved you get to pick which compositing manager,
personally I think compiz might be overkill, but if someone were to make
metacity and compiz work the same for things like keyboard shortcuts
etc, with compiz having extra ones, so that users wouldn't have
inconsistent experience when switching between them. And also the
default compiz would probably need to have a tailored list of plugins.

Dave.