Disabling atime

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Sun Aug 12 01:24:19 UTC 2007

Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Douglas McClendon wrote:
>
>> - oh, and did I forget to re-emphasize the laptop spin-up test...
>
> Doesn't laptop mode & friends remount with noatime already?  It's at
> least an option in those scripts...

I have no idea, that's why I was hoping someone would test it for me :)

Actually, I just looked at my rpm -qa and yum list available.  Where did
laptop mode go? (I did grep -i laptop)

If fedora already does remount with noatime by default on laptops in
some fashion, that would seem to be a pretty strong argument in favor of
making it default all the time, given any significant performance
benefit.  (and the fact that I haven't heard any convincing use-case of
it that doesn't have a better workaround).

-dmc