mkinitrd, ehci-hcd, error -71 on boot

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Wed Aug 15 08:38:39 UTC 2007

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 19:52:39 -0600, Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com> wrote:

> I've wondered for a long time why the ehci driver wasn't first.  I've seen
> many a system (especially notebooks) where the USB 2.0 ports were running as
> USB 1.1.  I hope there's no good reasons to stop this change from going in.

In theory there should be no issues with loading ehci_hcd after its
companion (either uhci_hcd on Intel and VIA or ohci_hcd elsewhere).
The problem I am trying to address is how the discovery and initialization
continues on the companion bus when we start initializing EHCI in parallel,
which happens because khubd continues to run when modprobe has exited.
This effects a sudden disconnect as EHCI takes over the port; if the
takeover fails (usually because the device does not support High-Speed)
EHCI returns the port and the interrupted initialization repeats.

If EHCI fails to take over a root hub port despite a device being High-Speed
capable, it is a bug somewhere and initialization order is not likely
to fix it (although it may, mostly due to interactions with firmware).
File a bug or let me know directly.

-- Pete