Enabling Compiz by default?

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Aug 15 09:29:44 UTC 2007

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 04:02:16PM -0400, Peter Jones wrote:
> >people would like to be able to select a different screensaver on battery
> >(usually the 'none' saver)
>
> And that's still the absolute wrong answer.  The right answer is to lock
> the keyboard and then turn off the display entirely; when we get input
> (or a lid open event, etc.), turn it back on, paint it solid and give a
> password box just like with a screensaver.

I don't want the keyboard locked immediately. I don't neccessarily want the
display turned back off. I don't neccessarily have a lid.

If we can put the "I know whats good for you, there shall be no
configuration" idiocy aside we might be able to create a better OS.

I don't want the display off immediately as it wears out the backlight
continually going on/off with activity over short durations. I don't want
the keyboard to lock because I'm still present (I've got a seperate bluetooth
phone presence driven screen locker than you) and I thus would like to configure
my system not have it dictated to me.

I would submit that immediate display off is wrong - even for defaults,
backlights are not designed to be abused that way, so you probably want
a 5 minute (say) timeout of blank screensaver before turning it off.

Lock keyboard immediately is annoying IMHO but is right according to any
security recommendation and only annoying if some idiot doesn't make it
configurable easily.