Problems with NetworkManager and autofs/NFS

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 18:43:34 UTC 2007

On 8/16/07, Orion Poplawski <orion at cora.nwra.com> wrote:

> NetworkManager is currently (in devel and F7) unusable with autofs and
> NFS mounts.  This is because NetworkManager is stopped very early in the
> shutdown process (K02) and brings down the network with it.  Then when
> autofs attempts to unmount any automounted nfs mounts, they fail because
> the remote machine is not accessible.  Eventually the machine hangs
> trying to unmount the last nfs mounted directory.  I suppose it might
> timeout eventually, but it's beyond my patience to wait that long.
>
> Questions:
>
> - Why is NetworkManager shutdown so early?
>
> - Should autofs/nfs shutdown do a forced unmount if needed?  Would that
> work?
>
> - Do we need tighter NIS/autofs integration into NetworkManager?

Moving forward  we need much tighter integration with all NetworkManager and
all
network services on the machine.  What I have done to reduce contention as
well
as boot time is to remove the following services from my init process

iscsi
iscsid
ntpd
autofs
sshd
avahi-daemon
avahi-dnsconfd
yum-updatesd

They all now are started by custom scripts in
/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d.  Yes
I know that theoretically autofs doesn't below there because it can mount
non network
drives, but I don't use that so it is there now.

I can pass some of my stuff along if you are interested.

Jon