Problems with NetworkManager and autofs/NFS

Lamont Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Thu Aug 16 19:18:48 UTC 2007

On Thursday 16 August 2007 01:05pm, nodata wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 16.08.2007, 14:43 -0400 schrieb Jon Nettleton:
[snip]
> > Moving forward  we need much tighter integration with all
> > NetworkManager and all
> > network services on the machine.  What I have done to reduce
> > contention as well
> > as boot time is to remove the following services from my init process
> >
> > iscsi
> > iscsid
> > ntpd
> > autofs
> > sshd
> > avahi-daemon
> > avahi-dnsconfd
> > yum-updatesd
> >
> > They all now are started by custom scripts
> > in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d.  Yes
> > I know that theoretically autofs doesn't below there because it can
> > mount non network
> > drives, but I don't use that so it is there now.
> >
> > I can pass some of my stuff along if you are interested.
> >
> > Jon
>
> This all comes down to a failure of the init system to be smart enough
> though, doesn't it?

Not necessarily.

The rule of thumb is that the S and K number should add up to 100, but you
don't absolutely *have* to do that.  If NetworkManager really does need to
start up so late, we should still have it stopped as late as possible in the
shutdown process.  If the S and K don't add up to 100 because of t hat, oh
well.

However, I'm not sure that would entirely solve all the issues that are being
discussed in this thread.
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor

NOTE:  All messages from this email address should be digitally signed with my
       0xDC0DD409 GPG key. It is available on the pgp.mit.edu keyserver as
       well as other keyservers that sync with MIT's.