kde4 status?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Sun Aug 19 00:54:54 UTC 2007

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 17:24:06 -0500
Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:

> Josh Boyer wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 20:01:29 +0200
> > Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:

> >> Grumbel, now that was a very usefull answer (NOT) can people please
> >> refrain from answering questions about things which they have no
> >> clue about, and instead go RTFM? (kde4 is planned for F-8
> >> inclusion), see:
> >
> > Actually, Michael does have a clue.
> >
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/8/FeatureList
> >
> > Yes, that is out of date.
> >
> >> and notice how KDE4 is on the approved features list, and:
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureKDE4
> >
> > As is this.
> >
> > KDE4 will not be in F8.
>
> Absolute and final decisions have not been made, so I'd say that
> previous statement may be a bit misleading.

Perhaps.

> What *will* happen for sure:
> * Both kde3 and kde4 runtimes and development environments will be
> included in f8.

If it's not in test2, it's not a Feature.  Now that isn't a carved in
stone rule, but it's definitely a pretty decent guideline.

> Will probably happen:
> *  kde4 runtime/development landing in rawhide in time for test2
> (*crosses fingers*)

That would be nice.  If for some reason it fails to happen by test2,
are you still going to attempt to push it into f8?  If so, why?

> Undecided:
> *  the kde4 desktop environment is, at present, still unstable and

Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but is "kde4 desktop" different
from "kde4 runtime"?

josh