Development SIG -- http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Development

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Mon Aug 20 16:43:18 UTC 2007

On 8/20/07, Andrew Overholt <overholt at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We'd like to start a Development SIG with an eye towards making a
> "Fedora for Developers" spin.  The goals for the moment boil down to:

Awesome!

> . Eclipse stuff (most likely all of it)
> . koji
> . *-devel

The thing I would keep in mind is that I see these three very different
kinds of developers that are probably fairly representative:

1) People developing on Fedora/GNOME/KDE  ("system/community" developers)
2) The guy who has an idea for a website about music, worked on Unix in
college and has been learning Ruby since he heard a lot about Rails.
(hobbyist/solo developer)
3) Professional developer working on inhouse tools or a website for a large
corporation, likely spends all day in Java (professional developer)

So for example, koji and *-devel are important for 1) but basically
irrelevant for 2) and 3), whereas good Java support isn't important to 1),
but is critical to 3).

Personally, I would optimize for 2) and 3) because they're the large
audience; 1) largely knows what they want and how to get it.

In general though, I think a lot of this project is going to be figuring out
what comps make sense and looking at the experience there.