rawhide report: 20070818 changes

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Aug 20 20:53:00 UTC 2007

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:45:59 -0400
Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:

> > > Dumb and untried question: what happens if compiz-gnome obsoletes
> > > "compiz <= oldversion" and requires "compiz" (where oldversion is
> > > less than the current distribution version)?
> >
> > Don't think that would do what you want it to do,
>
> It _should_ unless I've gone completely batty today (note: entirely
> possible ;-)

Erm, lets walk through this because maybe /I/ have gone batty.

compiz-gnome obsoletes compiz that you have installed, but doesn't
Provide it.  compiz itself provides compiz.  How does that get
compiz-gnome installed?  And if it did, wouldn't you want to do the
same thing for compiz-kde for the KDE users?

> > and if it did, it
> > would have the side effect of forcing compiz-gnome (and it's deps)
> > upon KDE users.
>
> Only on an upgrade and only for the users who previously had compiz
> and the gnome bits.  So it's not really a big change for them while
> still allowing the win for The Future (tm)

How does 'and the gnome bits' fit in here?  Were all the gnome bits
already in compiz?  What about the KDE bits, were they in compiz too?

--
Jesse Keating