kde4 status for f8: off the table? likely

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Aug 23 17:23:56 UTC 2007

Rex Dieter wrote:

> Josh Boyer wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 17:24:06 -0500
>
>>> Will probably happen:
>>> *  kde4 runtime/development landing in rawhide in time for test2
>>> (*crosses fingers*)
>>
>> That would be nice.  If for some reason it fails to happen by test2,
>> are you still going to attempt to push it into f8?  If so, why?
>
> Likely yes, I'll try my best because it's that important, imo.  And, ok,
> to be honest, to save face, because that's what I promised at akademy I
> would help make it (shipping kde4 in f8) happen. :)

OK, my pragmatic honest assessment of the situation(1) is that kde4 will not
be landing any time soon and certainly not for test2.  The impact of this
is that FeatureKDE4 is likely off the table for shipping in f8.

Work for f8 final release will focus on polishing the kde3 desktop
experience.

That said, work on kde4 will certainly continue, and any additional
assistance/help is always welcome.  My best guess is that kde4 can/will
land sometime soon after f8 ships.

-- Rex

(1) Most of the active KDE SIG members aren't available for doing a lot of
the required work over the coming weeks, including Than(illness), Kevin
(vacation), me (just plain busy @ work, start of fall academic semester
looming).

p.s. suck, crap, blast, ?#!#$#!@$?.  please don't confuse the civility of
this message to imply anything close to my happiness with this situation.
If I could hole myself up for days/weeks to work to make it happen, I
would.