kde4 status for f8: off the table? likely

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Thu Aug 23 18:02:56 UTC 2007

Rex Dieter wrote:

>> Josh Boyer wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 17:24:06 -0500
>>> That would be nice.  If for some reason it fails to happen by test2,
>>> are you still going to attempt to push it into f8?  If so, why?
>> Likely yes, I'll try my best because it's that important, imo.  And, ok,
>> to be honest, to save face, because that's what I promised at akademy I
>> would help make it (shipping kde4 in f8) happen. :)
>
> OK, my pragmatic honest assessment of the situation(1) is that kde4 will not
> be landing any time soon and certainly not for test2.  The impact of this
> is that FeatureKDE4 is likely off the table for shipping in f8.
>
> Work for f8 final release will focus on polishing the kde3 desktop
> experience.
>
> That said, work on kde4 will certainly continue, and any additional
> assistance/help is always welcome.  My best guess is that kde4 can/will
> land sometime soon after f8 ships.
>
> -- Rex
>
> (1) Most of the active KDE SIG members aren't available for doing a lot of
> the required work over the coming weeks, including Than(illness), Kevin
> (vacation), me (just plain busy @ work, start of fall academic semester
> looming).
>
> p.s. suck, crap, blast, ?#!#$#!@$?.  please don't confuse the civility of
> this message to imply anything close to my happiness with this situation.
> If I could hole myself up for days/weeks to work to make it happen, I
> would.

I've said it once, and hopefully proven it with my ppc64 fix, if its just a
Fedora manpower problem, I'm willing to sync some time into this. I'm sure you
can find others too. I will need guidance though, so if you think a couple of
less kde experienced volunteers can pull it of, lets start looking for more
volunteers and start calling yourself a manager :)

Regards,

Hans