A fuse based initfs

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Fri Aug 24 01:08:39 UTC 2007

Jon Nettleton wrote:
> On 8/23/07, Jon Nettleton <jon.nettleton at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Why not just put the fifo on a tmpfs, and keep it around for the life of
>>> the system.  Being tmpfs, it cleans up nicely when shut down.  There are
>>> many other reasons to move the X socket from /tmp (selinux etc).
>>>
>>> Would a permanent symlink from /tmp -> a tmpfs mounted on /var/run/X
>>> solve the legacy issues?
>>>
>> That only leaves some log issues.  However if other people have no
>> problems with /var/run/X and /var/run/gdm being tmpfs or ramfs then
>> this is do-able.
>>

> actually thinking about this.  Moving these files to a tmpfs/ramfs
> filesystem will actually allow us to remove a bunch of cleanup code in
> rc.sysinit for stale filehandles and directories.
>
> hmmm...this is sounding better by the minute.

Over on fedora-livecd-list, I'm working on using something like a
usbstick instead of ram for the read-write overlay on top of the
read-only ext3fs image (that is on the livecd, living in a squashfs).

One of the issues was getting things unmounted cleanly at shutdown.
While one gross method I used, turned out to not be necessary or the
right approach, while talking about it, the rather logical idea came up
of keeping the original initramfs around, and using it to tear things
down, just as it is used to build things up.

E.g. to eject the livecd at shutdown.  You need the eject command, and a
completely unmounted rootfs.  Using a tmpfs, or perhaps more logically,
using the tmpfs from the original initramfs, seems like the way to do this.

And that seems like it might mesh well with the idea of gdm in initramfs
  that I think you are talking about.

(and maybe somebody can correct me, but does the original initramfs
really, truly get unmounted currently?  Or is it just lazy unmounted,
and it is really hanging around hidden somewhere?)

-dmc