A fuse based initfs

Nathaniel McCallum npmccallum at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 20:41:07 UTC 2007

Sorry for the new email, I just joined the mailing list.

Jon, can you define exactly what your requirements are?  So far I have
seen the need to start applications which use sockets and logging and
than transfer those sockets/logs into the new root for use after pivot
root.  What is stoping you from doing something like this?:

mount -t tmpfs none /var/run/dbus/
mount -t tmpfs none /var/log
start dbus
start syslog
... do stuff ...
mount new root
mount --move /var/run/dbus /path/to/new/root/var/run/dbus
stop syslog
cat /var/log/messages >> /path/to/new/root/var/log/messages
ln -s /path/to/new/root/var/log/messages /var/log/messages
start syslog
pivot root

(Though of course this breaks syslog in more ways than one. ;))

Nathaniel