b43 driver, firmware and kernel 2.6.23-0.135.rc3.git7.fc8

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Aug 25 19:06:07 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-25 at 19:44 +0200, Dino Leonardo Sangoi wrote:
> Maybe a nicer way to handle these changes would be delivering the
> needed package to the repositories, sending a heads-up to Fedora
> testers list, and then changing the kernel.

Yeah, John and I did discuss it briefly, and I think he was going to
create a new b43-fwcutter package and submit it for review.

Rawhide is... well, rawhide. You get to keep both pieces when it breaks.
But I agree that before we switch F-7 to the new driver (which we'd like
to do, because it's better), we should have a slightly more coherent
strategy in place.

If we could find a way to 'convert' the old-style extracted firmware to
the new format, that would make it a lot easier -- it could be a %post
script in b43-fwcutter then, and the new kernel could require
b43-fwcutter (or conflict with bcm43xx-fwcutter, perhaps).

--
dwmw2