is "ps" broken in rawhide?

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Sat Aug 25 22:05:00 UTC 2007

So I thought I'd be a nice guy and rebuild mysql before the crunch
comes, and behold it doesn't work:

checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for doxygen... no
checking for pdflatex... no
checking for makeindex... no
checking for icheck... no
checking for ps... ps
checking "how to check if pid exists"... configure: error: Could not find the right ps switches. Which OS is this ?. See the Installation chapter in the Reference Manual.

Here's the relevant bit of the mysql configure script:

echo "$as_me:$LINENO: checking \"how to check if pid exists\"" >&5
echo $ECHO_N "checking \"how to check if pid exists\"... $ECHO_C" >&6
PS=$ac_cv_path_PS
# Linux style
if $PS p $$ 2> /dev/null | grep `echo $0 | sed s/\-//` > /dev/null
then
  FIND_PROC="$PS p \$\$PID | grep -v grep | grep \$\$MYSQLD > /dev/null"
# Solaris
elif $PS -fp $$ 2> /dev/null | grep $0 > /dev/null

The first thing I thought was that ps or sed or grep had disappeared
from the default buildroot, but all three of these are explicitly
reported as found earlier in the configure run.  The only other theory
that comes to mind is that ps isn't emitting what it ought to; which
became more probable when I noticed that procps was rebuilt a couple
days ago, but it still doesn't seem real probable.

Could someone who has rawhide tip installed check the behavior of
"ps p $$" ?

If you want to see the failing build job:

mysql last built successfully two weeks ago, and I hadn't changed
anything except to add BuildRequires: gawk.

			regards, tom lane